Full-spectrum vs. Broad-spectrum

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Donna Porter
    Participant

I would very much appreciate feedback/opinions on this topic. From all the literature I have read, it is my understanding that a product is FULL-SPECTRUM when the COA reveals that the extract used contained CBD, THC, plus other cannabinoids and terpenes. A product is BROAD-SPECTRUM when the COA shows it contains CBD plus other cannabinoids and terpenes, BUT NO THC. I guess the question boils down to can a THC FREE product be considered FULL-SPECTRUM? Also, can a company rightfully claim their product is FULL-SPECTRUM if the COA only reveal it contains CBD & THC – possibly because that is all the company tested for was these two cannabinoids.

Intellectual Panda
    Participant

Hi Donna,

Looks like I am the first to respond although I would love to hear what other people have to say, as I am not an expert.

I can’t help much on clarifying full spec vs broad spec concentrates. The way you describe it is how I understand it, though it seems possible to me that what is technically (by our definition) broad spec could still be marketed as full spec for the reason I state below. Also, I will have to look into this further, but for broad spec products, is there a reliable way to remove THC from a concentrate or is it oil sourced from plant material with no THC? Because I would expect nearly all extracts to contain some level of THC straight from the plant material, even if it is only trace amounts.

As for the labeling of products as ‘Full Spectrum’, I’m confident that just about anything can be labeled as full spectrum without repercussions for the vendor. Evidence of this is if you look on an online marketplace (like Amazon) you will find tons of ‘hemp extract products’ labeled ‘full spectrum’ even though they contain NO THC OR CBD. In other words, even though these terms have meaning to you and me, they have no legal definition according to the FDA. This is in contrast to terms like ‘good source of’, ‘enriched’, etc that legally require that the food must have 10% or more of the daily value per serving of whatever nutrient they are advertising is in the food. Hopefully this is helpful to you in some way! Again, this is my understanding of the current status on these terms and I really hope some others get involved here!

Have a great rest of your day 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.